Tennouji (Yanaka)

Overview:  This temple is the oldest of the numerous temples in the Yanaka area of Tokyo, and is a temple of the Tendai school, but It was founded in 1274 as of Nichiren school but now as a a branch temple of the then-massive Kan’eiji Templeand now lies on the edge of Yanaka Cemetery. It used be famous of five stories pagoda and held lotteries.

Ruin of five story pagoda Tennouji
Ruin of five story pagoda Tennouji
Tennouji
Tennoji
Tennoji
天王寺五重塔
天王寺五重塔
天王寺大仏
天王寺
天王寺
previous arrow
next arrow

Name: Tennouji (Yanaka) (Gokokusan soncyouin tennouji)
Place: Yanaka 7-14-8, Taitō city, Tokyo
Foundation: 1274
School: Tendai (originally Nichiren)
Principal Image: Shakyamuni Buddha, Amitabha, Bishamonten (Vaiśravaṇa)
Festival: Visit the Seven Lucky Gods (1-10 January), Reclining party (15 February), Nichiren school (15 May)
Flowers: Cherry Okame variety (March)


Official website: http://www.tendaitokyo.jp/jiinmei/tennoji/ (Japanese only)

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenn%C5%8D-ji_(Tait%C5%8D)

Theme: Overlay by Kaira Extra Text